For horse players, the Saratoga meet marks the beginning of the real racing season. The Saratoga meet features the best horses in the country competing at a venue that is turning 150 years old next year. Here is a little known fact. The term upset is used to describe a shocking win where a big underdog beats a favorite. This term stemmed from a horse named Upset beating who is considered to be the greatest thoroughbred ever, Man O War. Man O War was 20 for 21 lifetime, and the only loss was to Upset.
Here are an experts tips for betting Saratoga:
1. Speed on the dirt dominates the meet. There are very few horses that win from far back on the dirt, and most horses that go to the lead on turf make it into the trifecta. In the first two racing days last year, 17 out of 21 horses that went to the lead were in the trifecta.
2. Horses that ran in Kentucky their last race perform terribly.
3. Most shippers from all other East coast tracks are only good enough to win cheaper claiming races. If a horse is shipping in from Monmouth, Parx or other East coast tracks, they are not good enough to win an alowance or stakes race. This is assuming they have run more than one race at those tracks.
4. If a horse is in the 1, 2, or 3 gate on the turf and does not have the speed to be first or second down the backside, the horse will usually get blocked on the far turn and lose all chance of winning.
5. If a horse is coming off a layoff of more than 60 days, he has very little chance of winning.
6. Long shots rarely win on the dirt. Long shots occasionally win on turf, but that is due to favorites running into traffic on the far turn.
7. David Cohen is an excellent long shot speed rider. If he is on a speed horse, he is a solid bet.
Enjoy the best horse racing meet of the year!